Thursday 16 July 2009

Paying Back

If I recall properly, there was a day in May that it didn't rain or was that April? Well maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but this has been one wet summer and would someone please turn up the heat!! One thing is for sure my gardens are loving it! I'd like to say I've spent a lot of time in the gardens this summer but compared to other years, well no.

It has been an interesting time for me and I'm going to be honest. I think that since I injured my self way back in March it has been a slippery slope for motivation and upbeat moods. Within the past three weeks three people that I have known have passed away due to cancer. It is an ugly, ugly disease and with all the money being raised at various events, please tell me that they are breaking ground on a cure. Because in all honesty, you can tell me I'm wrong, but cancer is such a huge money making industry are they holding back on a cure to generate more money?

Sorry, I'm off track here.

Let's go back to my garden.....


So, enough deep, dark thoughts, no more woeisme, no more sitting on the couch drinking way too much wine.

Nope, I over it and guess what? I'm taking this opportunity to pay back.

How many times have you been at a race and sweated and panted your way past a volunteer and they've shouted out some encouraging words or given you that cup of water or gatoraid? How many times have you really thanked that guy at the sweatcheck or the guy who handed you your special needs bag? Or how about the guys and gals that organise and set up that race event, you know the ones that have been there all night making sure your ever precious timing mat and electronic board are working, the balloon arch is set up, the music is on and pulsating a boom boom beat, how about those guys setting up portapotties and hand sanitizers?

How many times have to blasted across the last timing mat with your arms over your head (or looking down at your garmin) shouting WOOO HOOO and there has been that happy smiling face giving you words of praise and glory while putting your medal around your sweaty, salt stained neck? Have you ever really looked them in the eye and said hey THANK YOU for being out here in the sun; heat; rain; cold; snow? I know I try to with what little breath I have left in my body, but think about it, without the volunteers, we might as well run around the block and home and shout wooo hoooo. Yes, you pay your entry fee for that special feeling of accomplishment but without the guy standing at the roadblock telling you which way to go, you'd be running to no where.

So, it is my turn to pay back!! For purely selfish reason's (getting my motivation back), I'm volunteering with the ever famous Nat and her "Man" and "Boy" this Sunday at the Hintonburg 5K race. I'm pretty excited, I'll be working the "turn around" water station!!

I'm also paying back by volunteering the following weekend in Lake Placid for the Ford Ironman Lake Placid. Several of my running / tri friends are participating in this prestigious event and with any luck I'll get to meet Kona Shelley! You go guys and good luck!!!

I'll be body marking starting at 4:45 am!! Oh and did I mention I'm camping? OMG, me camping, to me camping is a suite at the Hilton, but NO, I'm actually going to be in a TENT at a KOA, bwawaahhhaaaaa!!!! I'll keep you posted as to how all that works out!

Well there is more exciting news to share, but I have to get ready for work, so I'll catch up with you all later....

Life's fun if you don't weaken,

Lily

25 comments:

C said...

You are a freaking saint. Have a great time. Make sure to goose some fine looking male behinds while you're body marking. I need to live vicariously. ;)

bluecolnago said...

i hear ya on letting the volunteers at any even know that they are appreciated. i make it a point to thank as many as i can at every event i attend. when i volunteer, i know i appreciate knowing that what i do is appreciated and i feel the need to share the love when i participate in a race or event.

high of 65 here tomorrow. sweet.

Wes said...

Volunteering ranks right up there with being a sherpa. You have fun!!

B.o.B. said...

Good for you Lil. Volunteering is just as rewarding as doing the race itself. Especially when you see all the different types of people who finish the race. Makes you happy inside.

BTW - you can have some of this Florida heat. It's insane down here!

Unknown said...

volunteers rock. i try to tell every one of them thank you.

Keith said...

Great post! Imagine if every triathlete volunteered for a race every time they did one themselves? I'm not there yet, having done 4 races, and signed up to volunteer at 2.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Without volunteers, these events aren't possible, good on you for getting out there! Volunteering at Lake Placid will be the ultimate in motivation, I would imagine :) Enjoy! (yes, even the camping LOL)

Marlene said...

You are going to LOVE volunteering. I've had a few opportunities this year and it's awesome.

And Lake Placid! Too cool! Take loads of pics for us if you can.

Anonymous said...

Lake Placid... have a great time seeing the races from a different perspective.
Camping... I am with you. My dad has a two bed room apt, but only a bed for himself. I told him he had to buy a bed before I would stay there. He offered up an air mattress. I do NOT think so. My air mattress days are looooong over. So I think I'll be staying at Camp Holiday Inn Express!

LOL
T

Kim said...

Your flowers are beautiful!
Have fun volunteering.

RunToTheFinish said...

how fun! wanted to make sure that since you do so many good things you stop by for the current Gear giveaway I have going on! trying to make sure good folks don't miss it!

Runner Leana said...

Love that you are volunteering! I think it is great to give back to the races, I feel the same way. I can't wait to be at the finish line for the Calgary 70.3 so I can put a medal around someone's sweaty and salt stained neck!

Judi said...

i ALWAYS thank the volunteers! that is awesome you are giving back! good for you!

Alexandra said...

I volunteered at a race for the first time this past Sunday! I loved it!

It's O.K. to get your feelings about cancer off your shoulders! It helps to vent!

Plus I don't see anything wrong with drinking lots of wine!

Anne said...

As a longtime race volunteer, I know you're going to not only enjoy your stint but you'll learn something because it's amazing how much you pick up (besides stray cups) from watching others.

And I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friends. I too wonder about all that money devoted to cures, but the survival rate is way up for many common cancers...so it is having an impact.

Groover said...

Wow. Don't know what to say. Sorry to hear about your losses and wish your summer was better than our winter and I'm in awe of your selflessness and you managed to make me sad and make laugh in one and the same post! Good on ya.

EndorphinBuzz said...

Sorry to hear about your friends passing away.

Way to go on the volunteering. That is a good way to enjoy the events if you are not directly participating. And THANK YOU! I always wanted to hug a volunteer after a race, but I'm usually too sweaty and stinky for that to be a way to thank them, more like torture really!

Nat said...

First off a massive massive thank you for coming out to help on Sunday. I am filled with warm fuzzies... on behalf of The Man (this week The Race Director) and I, we are so tremendously grateful for your taking the time to do this.

(Also I want in to the numbering.)

See you Sunday! (We have cake for all at Parkdale Park after the race. Pray the rain holds off.)

P.S. For the runners, we'd love to have you as well... sign up all day tomorrow at Cycle Logic, and as of 7:30 at parkdale Park.

Bill Carter said...

Hi Lily

Oh my God!! The mere thought of both you and Nat working a race together makes me want to rush right up there. And I am only half kidding.

Take care of yourself both mentally and physically. Life can throw a whole bunch of curveballs, but that next home run is always just one swing away.

How is that for an analogy??

Hugs.

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

Yay for volunteers! Love the flowers..how beautiful!
-marn

Nurse Becky said...

Hello! Found your blog through your comment on mine! Thanks! Beautiful flowers! I have a brown thumb. Or, as the Coastie calls it, the Black Thumb of Death. Send some rain our way. We got rain last about the same day you didn't get rain. Crazy, huh? Love your blog! I will add it to my list!

Carolina John said...

your garden's looking good this year Laurel!

bikesgonewild said...

...god, laurel, i don't usually follow your personal blog but you're such a part of both judi & bluenoser's blogs that when i heard about that horrendous cycling "accident" in the ottawa area, i immediately started checking for names...

...as much as my heart goes out to those folks & despite the odds & beyond my paranoia, i'm glad that you weren't involved...

...my best, bgw...

Lily on the Road said...

BGW, hi, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks too for your concern of my welfare, virtual or not, it is very kind! I did drive by the accident on my way home from a race and it was sheer carnage, we can only pray for a speedy recovery for the cyclists.

I love reading your comments on various sites, Bluenoser, Judi, Groover, your quick wit, candid knowledge of so many things and your keen eye on world events is well worth the read, keep up the great work!

Yes, biking paraphernalia will be packed for my N.S. adventure, that as well as my running gear will all be in the bag (and laundered) after my trip to Lake Placid for the Ironman...

Again, thanks for you concern, don't be a stranger, fellow canuks are always welcome!

Nitmos said...

Thanks for "paying back" by volunteering. This is still on my To Do list. And it has been on there an embarrassingly long time now.